50 things you can tell yourself to not care about what others think of you
Long ago before I even started this blog I did up a post on on whether I should give a fuck about what others think of me.
I think that’s one of the most gnawing things in life which affects each and everyone of us. Everyone on this planet, to some extent cares about what others think; how others see you. Unless you have achieved perfect mastery and enlightenment in life, or well you’re just kind of retarded in the head, you definitely got to deal with people around you. What others say, think or feel, how much do you value them in your life?
With that said, here are 50 reminders in life to help in not caring about what others think of you, in different scenarios.
Life in general
1) “I don’t even know them”- If you don’t know them, what comes out of their mouths, or the stares they give you don’t matter at all.
2) “They don’t even know me”- You have lived years after years, how can what others say or think actually matter or even come close to accurately depicting your life?
3) “Other people have lives too” – Those around you have their own lives to deal with. What they say or think of you is but a mere comment. It’s not like they spend their lives thinking about you 24/7.
4) “Nobody is truly judging me”- They aren’t. They don’t know you. They may make a snide remark or two, but they aren’t judging you. So chill out.
5) “I don’t even know what they are thinking about”- Maybe you took a photograph in your head of their ugly faces or seemingly judgmental glares, but you can’t read their minds! They may not even notice of your existence. They are just born ugly.
6) “Nobody really cares about me”- Not in the, “Nobody cares about me, my life sucks and everybody hates me” sense of course. Think about it, people have their own lives. Even if they made a cruel remark or a snap judgement, are they thinking about it every day? They aren’t. So if they aren’t, why should you?
7) “I am not going to see them again”- Yes, you are not. The belittling stares or condescending remarks would last for like 5 seconds. It sucks, but hey, you aren’t going to see them again. Just move on.
8) “He is not a real friend”- If you find yourself too hung up over what your own friends say or think about you, consider that they aren’t your real friends. That can ease the load off your mind.
9) “I know myself best”- Only you and only you know yourself the best. Others’ opinions ultimately DO NOT matter.
10) “Just relax and chill out”- Others’ words are mere words. Others’ opinions are unfounded and inaccurate. Let it go. Don’t let it ruin your day.
11) “Relax! Don’t exaggerate!”- It’s very easy to go crazy and let your thoughts run awry on what others think of you. This is not healthy and also a waste of time. Put things into perspective. Take things lightly and with a pinch of salt. Don’t grasp things too tight.
12) “This isn’t going to matter when I am old”- Look far. Think ahead. When you have grown up and gotten a career set, a spouse or a even a family, do what others think of you in the present actually matter? No.
13) “Life is short”- Hell yeah Life is short. Do you want to waste your time worrying and carrying about what others think of you?
14) “You can’t please everyone in life”- You can’t. Haters gonna hate. People will always find a reason to hate, no matter what you do. Hence, if someone doesn’t think highly of you, it’s actually not your fault.
15) “I just want to fucking live my life now”- The choice is yours. You do have a life that is special to you, so why let others thoughts or opinions take over?
16) “They aren’t putting me down, they just don’t know better”- Sometimes people’s opinions may sound hurtful or baseless, but it’s not that they are trying to put you down, they are just uneducated on the matter. Talk to them then. Teach them so that everyone would be on the same frequency.
17) “I am going to regret wasting my time and energy”- You WILL regret it. How often have you looked back and realize you could have put that time and energy to better use? Stop wasting your strength and mental capacity on what others think. Focus on yourself.
18) “I am not a product that needs to be approved”- You are human. Not some packaged deal. Do you live for yourself or for the approval and recognition of others?
When meeting new people
19) “Stop trying too hard”- In making a good first impression. If you try too hard, you are more likely to screw it all up. So just relax!
20) “He or she has their own flaws”- You don’t know these people at all, you just met them. Even if they seem super cool, don’t let it intimidate you.
21) “It’s their privilege to know me”- Not asking you to be a cocky bastard, but everyone is special. You are special. Let them know you for who you are.
22) “He or she isn’t going to know me fully today” – The person isn’t a mind reader. He or she isn’t going to find out about your dirty secrets. That being said, don’t be a dumbass and expose them willingly.
23) “Just relax, and have fun”- Meeting new people can be fun. Get to know them and just chill out!
When performing on stage
24) “Even if I screw up, it’s not going to matter later on”- The audience will just forget it soon enough.
25) “99% of them probably wouldn’t even dare be do what I do right now”- People love to watch and criticise and make dumb comments, but ask them to be in your shoes and they would cower. Revel in that.
26) “The more I think about what they think, I am going to perform worse”- Precisely. So relax, and do your best.
27) “Whether I perform badly or not, I am definitely going to take something- Experience is what it is you will bring home.
28) “I will definitely do better next time”- With experience gained, you can definitely perform better next time round. Treat it as a productive trial!
29) “They can’t appreciate the art fully anyway”- The audience are filled with laymen who don’t know any better. They might not even know if you screw up!
When going for a job interview
30) “The more I think about it, the more I am probably going to screw up”- Nuff said. So just relax, and try your best.
31) “The interviewer is probably just testing me”- That’s right. His evil glare or tough questions are probably just tests to see how you perform in an interview. Don’t take them so seriously, they don’t hate you!
32) “I can’t read their minds”- You can’t, so don’t go nuts in thinking about what they think about you or your credentials. Answer the questions as best as you can and you will do fine.
33) “Great interviews are about two-way communication”- If the interviewer is actually talking as much as you, it’s a good thing!
When doing something out of the norm, like quitting your high-paying job to pursue your passion
34) “They don’t understand”- Others don’t understand or wouldn’t bother to put in effort to. You don’t need to care about others’ ignorance.
35) “I can achieve something even bigger”- You will. You already have the balls to deviate from the norm. Block out the noise from others and you can soar!
36) “Naysayers are just afraid or insecure”- Often people are afraid or jealous of others’ success, so they tend to put them down. Don’t let these people intimidate or hold you back!
37) “Let them waste their time”- Naysayers are wasting their time and energy putting others down. For some reason, they love to waste their time.
38) “They have no lives”- That being said, obviously they are just assholes and seriously need to get a life!
39) “They focus on pulling others down. I focus on achieving my goals”- While others are there to pull you down, you can relish in the fact that you rather focus your energy on yourself than on others.
40) “They are stuck in the matrix”- Others who talk shit about you are simply stuck. They think that having a normal job with a salary and growing old with it is the only way to go in life. And that’s the only thing they know. You know better. You aren’t plugged in anymore.
41) “Passion is important and it’s awesome that I know that”- Passion IS important. Most others wouldn’t appreciate that so they tend to not understand what you do. Let that feeling consume you when passion comes into place instead and you can go a long way.
After screwing up and making a fool out of yourself
42) “Oh shit that was funny haha”- Laugh at yourself. Really, go ahead and do that. Poke fun at yourself, have a laugh and feel good about it. It’s actually okay to laugh at yourself!
43) “It’s not like my sex tape got leaked”- The point is, no matter how embarrassing your screw up is, it’s highly unlikely it’s going to go “viral” and seep into every single human being’s life.
44) “No one will remember this for long”- Continuation from above, yep. No one is going to remember your shit for that long.
45) “My dumb friends had it worse”- Think of your other dumb friends and their screw ups. I bet they are way funnier.
46) “I am not the only one!” – And hence you aren’t the only one! EVERYBODY in life makes mistakes. So don’t go beating yourself up and giving yourself a death sentence.
47) “Nothing to do but look forward”- Seize the day. Sure, you screwed up, but everything in the past doesn’t matter. Learn from your mistake and use what you have today to move forward.
48) “Just look at how cool I am by not giving a shit!”- Even after a blunder, you still stand strong and walk with your chin up. That’s super cool and people are going to respect you for that.
49) “This is going to be some funny shit next time!”- Look at the bright side. After a couple of months, you can be the life of the party entertaining others of your interesting life.
And the best thing you can tell yourself ever…
50) “I love all my haters because they spend all that time thinking of me”
My favourite amongst all. Embrace the crap you get from others. There aren’t many in life who would spend so much time and energy just to think and talk about you. As the saying goes, bad publicity is worse than no publicity. At least you have some right? Only the losers got nothing!
Also, just by being yourself, you achieved free rental in others’ minds.
Do you want the ultimate guide to stop caring about what others think?
Then check out my new book: Ready Your Life.
It’s the totally not hyped and real guide in overcoming your problems by not giving a fuck about others.
Then you can start doing the shit you really love in life: Socialize with people, quit your shitty job and be totally awesome as you PUNCH FEAR IN THE FACE.
Click on the book.